Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dust Bowl

I've dreamt in color and black & white...but never sepia. This dream was all brown:

Picture Dorothy's farm from the 1939 Wizard of Oz. I was tending to a withering garden covered in layers of brown dust. My farm dress was tattered and dirty - probably the only one I owned. I was urgently called to the house and was to bring "the children" with me. I grabbed the two blond-haired children, a boy and a girl, from the dirt piles they were playing in and brought them inside. I felt that I loved them - they were family.

Inside of the dusty, sun-lit house (which was made up of no more than a few boards), a man in a suit sat at our dismal kitchen table. He wore a hat like a 1940s news reporter. With a concerned but friendly countenance, he explained to us that children had gone missing from their families in the area. These children were being kidnapped and forced to work on other people's property. Trying to catch the children in a lie, he then asked the small children who were with me how they met their parents. The boy started to giggle - answering the man's question that "meeting" someone's parents was a silly thought. I assured the man that these children were family and that I was "the auntie." He was satisfied and wished us a good day as he left.

There was another woman in the room - a "help" of some sort. She and I looked at each other worriedly knowing that the children's parents were usually drunk, abusive, or both and that perhaps these kids would be better off if someone snatched them away for good.

Interpretation: Perhaps my life is feeling a little dull? Lifeless? (I had my first baby 5 weeks ago and have gone from working girl to stay-at-home milk cow.) Perhaps the man coming to the house was a confrontation on my ability to be a parent? Do I have what it takes to raise these kids?

2 comments:

  1. You're hilarious Jess! I don't know anyone else who has a dream blog. Love it! I've had some doozies myself that I have written down so I wouldn't forget, only I can't remember where I wrote them. :) I look forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess is that they're my kids, and you think I'm "usually drunk".
    Hmmm... You want Zach and Abby?

    ReplyDelete